Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Single Fatherhood Has Its Rewards...

A never-ending mountain of laundry awaits as I descend the stairway to the basement. It seems like I should have a supply of clean clothes to last for several days, when in reality it's only about a day's worth. I begrudgingly dig my sons' nuclear undergarments out from their britches and as I mutter under my breath about them not separating them, and not getting the clothes stacked onto the proper teetering mound, I am silently reminded that I do the things I do for my sons because I love them. As God loves me unconditionally, I love them as well.

I put up with household food supplies being devoured seemingly immediately after I bring them home, utilities being consumed at record rates, dirty dishes and partially-eaten food left in all areas of teenager habitation, and property being "accidentally" destroyed. Arguments which start out as insult-hurling and ending up in wrestling matches that sound like a herd of buffalo charging through a china shop. The never ending stream of work- our house is never up to June Cleaver standards (or even my own) -and resource draining that goes on in our household sometimes seems overwhelming.


Working full-time in retail with varying shifts and few days off, and with two teenagers who both attend school and have part-time jobs, and whose work shifts are variable as well, is an uphill battle. The fight seems hopeless much of the time, especially when you see that your efforts seemingly fall largely unappreciated.

But then, as has become my habit over the last few years of being a single father, I pray to God. I hear in my head "Jeremiah 29:11": "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord; plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future"... And as always, he sends his gentle feeling of comfort and peace, and until the next time despair is allowed into my heart, I feel better. And every once in a while, when I least expect it, something wonderful and memorable happens...

Last weekend we had our seemingly annual "January Spring". It seems that over the last few years in mid-January we have a very nice day and I decide it's time to let the motorcycle stretch her legs a bit. I gear up for the ride, and head down the highway to church, 30 miles away. My sons drive separately on our day's journey, and we end up 65 miles away at my sister's house. We watch our Broncos beat the Patriots, and enjoy a wonderful dinner with my sister, niece, and great-nephew. After dinner, a card game is brought out by my niece, and my sons want to stay and play. I agree, but let them know that I need to get back before the impending cold of the night gets too severe that I can't ride without freezing my extremities. And that's when it happened.

My youngest is a tough guy, but his heart is huge. Despite his wanting to appear hard-as-nails, he's a very sweet kid who always seems to know what to say and do at the right times in life. This insightful young man, probably not knowing my frame of mind as of late, strode over to me and latched his arms around me, and proceeded with the most loving bear hug imaginable. I felt as though I actually mattered to him, and it brought reassurance to my heart. While taking me completely off-guard, that hug made my day. It reassured me that God was working behind the scenes to make everything right. I was joyful on the ride home, despite the fact that I had indeed waited too long, and the crisp night wind robbed me of feeling in most of my fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment